About MGS

Welcome to the MGS Headteachers's Blog.



Tuesday 30 January 2018

Tuesday 30 January 2018


Firstly I would like to thank Mr Ferguson, the deputy head, who wrote my Headmaster's Blog in my absence last week.  On Thursday 18 January, just three days before the Year 12 Harvard trip was due to leave, Mr Gymer had to pull out as he was too ill to travel.  He was extremely disappointed as he had worked incredibly hard for months planning the trip and supporting the 24 students prepare for its rigour.  I instead stepped in at the last minute and so was out of school last week, but did keep in regular contact with the Senior Leadership a Team ensuring that things were well at MGS. 
Despite the last minute preparations that I needed to make, I am so pleased I went.  It was such a pleasure spending the week with the students.  The Harvard trip has been part of this school for over 10 years, but it wasn't until last week that I really appreciated what went on.  Seeing Maidstonians debate numerous in depth and complicated issues on a global scale with delegates representing over 50 countries was humbling.  I had complete respect for all of them, sometimes wishing that I had had a similar opportunity when I was at school.  I wish to thank all 24 students, as well as Ms Mason and Mrs Van Mol for making the week one in which I will never forget.  It has taught me a lot and encouraged me to think differently about the work that I do and the role that I undertake.  Thank you.

Now I am back in school, the job of leading MGS continues.  Last night I chaired an SLT meeting that considered the feedback the school received following Tony Smith's visit two weeks ago.  His report highlighted a number of things that we could now consider and so action will now be taken to address them.

Tomorrow the MGS Development Fund welcomes donors and supporters to an event in the evening to say thank you.  The school has started building the new pavilion and the Development Fund has now reached a point that can support it.  The evening will consist of a few speeches from key people involved in the project, but mainly provide an opportunity for supporters to engage with each other and meet those involved.

And on Friday, the annual MGS Parents' Association Quiz Night takes place.  This year the quiz has the theme, 'The 100 Years Quiz', and already a number of teams have registered their interest.  If you are interested and can get a team together then please do contact the school before Friday.  The quiz starts at 7.30pm.  See you there.

And finally, congratulations to Lewis King of Tonbridge House who has made the reduced squad for the England Roller Hockey Team following successful training sessions all season.  Well done Lewis.